Whether you are a general contractor, professional home builder or landscape design and construction company, equipment costs are likely one of your biggest expenses – especially if you purchase your equipment. Not only do you have to factor in the initial capital expense, but there’s also ongoing maintenance, repairs, licensing and storage costs as well. For many contractors, purchasing certain landscape tools and machinery isn’t feasible, due to affordability and practicality. That’s why many prefer to rent certain types of equipment rather than purchasing them.
If you’re unsure whether you should invest in your own landscape equipment or not, here are 10 reasons to consider renting:
- Purchasing equipment can deplete your cash flow and tie up credit, whereas renting reduces capital expenses and enables you to invest in other areas of your business. Plus, you avoid ongoing depreciation, licensing fees and registration costs for equipment, which quickly add up over time.
- Renting landscape tools and machinery offers you total flexibility. Depending on the project, you can rent equipment for a few days, weeks or months, which means that you only pay for what you are using and when.
- Like a vehicle, equipment needs regular maintenance. If you purchase your own machinery, this is another “to do” on your growing list, as well as an added expense. But, with renting, you don’t have to bother with maintenance or costly repairs – it’s taken care of for you.
- Transporting machinery from job site to job site can be a major hassle. With renting, equipment is conveniently delivered to you and picked up, saving you money and valuable resources.
- When you rent equipment, you can select from a wide range of makes and models, giving you the opportunity to test different manufacturers. If you don’t like a certain tool or machinery, you’re not tied to it for life.
- With renting, you don’t have to worry about a current model becoming obsolete or not having the latest features. Instead, you always have access to state-of-the-art equipment to complete your projects on time and on budget.
- Complementing basic machinery that you own with specific rental equipment is a smart way to extend your fleet and take on more jobs. In many cases, the rental costs are also tax deductible as well.
- Rather than making do with what you have on hand, renting allows you to hire the right equipment that you need and with the appropriate tools and attachments.
- By renting, the need for costly, long-term warehouse or storage space is virtually eliminated.
- When rental equipment reaches its lifespan, you don’t have to assume the cost or time associated with trying to sell or dispose of old machinery.
The bottom line: when making the decision to rent or buy landscape tools or machinery, you should always consider the expected time utilization of the equipment. If you don’t have a need for a full-time, on-site track loader, excavator or another specialty piece of equipment, then renting is the most cost-effective solution.
Rent with Us!
At Boulders Landscape Supply, we offer contractors full access to our entire fleet of brand name equipment at competitive rental rates, which are backed by our knowledgeable staff and great customer service that you deserve.
We carry all of the tools and machinery that you need to complete any job – from concrete and masonry work to lawn and garden repair. We also stock a range of quick cut saws, tampers, excavators, skid steers, attachments and a variety of Bobcat products.
To learn more, call us at Boulders Landscape Supply or visit our Mississauga location at 2480 Royal Windsor Drive to experience our full range of rental equipment in person. You can also download our Rental Price List for 2017.